Now, I doesn't look much now, but I could see it's potential. Whilst I would love to use the machine itself, I also fancied the table as a possible desk or dressing table. So I set to work. I disassembled EVERYTHING - taking lots of photos on the way so I could remember how it all went together!
I then sugar soaped all the wood work and gave it all a good clean. Next up was a lick of wood primer. 1 coat and it was ready for the good paint :) I chose a Laura Ashley Eggshell paint in Biscuit, a really lovely cream colour. It took two coats, three in some places like the worktop.
It took me a long time to find some nice drawer knobs that I thought would look right as all but one of the original handles were missing. I thought I wanted some black cast iron ones to match the base but in the even I settled for some jazzy gold ones from Wilkinsons (much cheaper than the cast iron ones too!)
I also think the machine is beautiful, which is fully functional:
Can't wait to try it out!