Saturday, 29 November 2014

Garden Bench and Table

The owners before us left an assortment of things in the house and the garage, of varying quality! A lot of it went on freecycle/gumtree as we would never make use of it.

A few gems in disguise though, including a garden table and a garden bench. Both had seen much better days.

To be honest, I made the table worse by using it as a work table for a few weeks!


I started with a wire brush on the wood to get rid of all the algae sort of stuff that was on the table top. I don't know if it was the right thing to do, but it seemed to do the job. Then a sand and I was pretty much back to bare wood.  I did this with a sheet of sand paper wrapped around a block of wood - this was pre mouse sander days!

The base I brushed down with a wire brush, and gave it a bit of a clean.

The base I primed with red oxide paint. I only did this because I had some in the garage, but as I was using hammerite direct to rust paint it probably wasn't necessary. 

Then two coats of hammerite black paint.

The top I used teak oil, which I did three coats of using a brush.

Having lived with the table for a good few months now, I'm a little disappointed with the top. It has tired very quickly and looks like it needs of a spruce up again. That will be another job for next spring.


The bench had many similar processes.

I had to throw all the wood away as it was all rotten and one of the slats was missing.  I had to saw the old bolts off as they were rusted in place.  I tried spraying with WD40 in advance of undoing them, but no luck! And I prepared and painted the metal in a similar way to the table, although I skipped the red oxide primer this time.

The slats were a bit of a decision for me.  Hardwood would have been ideal, but pretty expensive - I would have been looking at £50ish to replace all the slats.  A bit out of my budget.

Instead I went to B&Q (I did go to the wood reclaim shop first but didn't find anything appropriate), and bought some softwood lengths that were the appropriate thickness and width.  I only needed 4 lengths (which I would saw in half), but it was cheaper to buy a pack of 6 for £12.  I also bought a tin of stain (opened and therefore discounted to £6) to protect the wood.  I know the softwood probably won't last as long as hardwood would have done, but I'm pleased with how it's turned out.

I cut the softwood lengths in half for the slats and did two coats of stain.

I had predrilled holes in each slat too to make sure that the stain protector got in the holes too.

Some new bolts were necessary, and the job was done!

No comments:

Post a Comment