But B&Q had a fab deal on loft insulation (on a roll) - just £9 per roll (about 8 sq. m of 100mm thick insulation), so this really encouraged me to get it done. I also picked up some weed control membrane whilst in B&Q as well for £12, so total cost to get this job done = £21.
They did have weed control fabric for only £5, but I chose this particular one as it had visible (very small) holes in it to let the air freely circulate. I also thought this would have less chance of tearing as it seemed a bit stronger.
The idea was to push the insulation up between the joists, and then staple the fabric on top of the joists to keep it all up there.
I had received a great tip from a friend to cut the insulation whilst it was still in the packaging. This made quite light work of it. We also found it was easier to cut the sections wider than the width between the joists because then it almost stayed up by itself so Dan had his hands free to concentrate on the fabric.
I cut the insulation with just a normal saw:
Dan measured how big the fabric needed to be too and I cut that into manageable sections. To start with we were too ambitious and Dan struggled with the size of the pieces so we had another go at it and cut them smaller, approx 1m x 0.40m.
I actually used the floorboards to line up cutting the fabric!
FYI, we were both clad up with PPE: glasses, mask, full length sleeves and trousers, gloves, and Dan had a disposable boiler suit on too. Insulation is not so nice stuff, very itchy and you certainly don't want to be breathing a lot of it in.
And here is the finished look:
We didn't quite finish - we have one more small strip to do, the one that contains the access hatch. That also has an air brick in it too, so we need a little more thought on how to deal with that one. The key is to not block them up to allow the air to flow through so moisture doesn't build up and make the wood rot.